Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Title Explained...

I was thinking about the title of this blog, and thought perhaps I should share why I chose Pseudo Profundities and Other Laments. We all use cliches in our conversation--they're safe, we don't have to be creative, and most everyone will automatically agree with you.

Example: I want world peace.
Yes, most people want world peace, but the statement itself is naive. There's no consideration for the larger political/cultural/religious entanglements that lead to violence and discord. How much of ourselves are we willing to sacrifice to attain this goal?

I consider cliches to be pseudo profundities. On the surface they sound fine, noble even. But we forego the actual thought process in order to be agreeable during conversation. One of my favorite personal experiences with this occurred in our local Target. Last Christmas, I was purchasing some toys for my nieces and nephews. The cashier rather blankly looked at me and said, "I always find that it is better to give than to receive, because when you give you also receive." How could I possibly disagree with that? And, I believe there are deeper insights buried in that statement, just read Acts 20:35. But the tired and robotic way in which the cashier said this struck me as the ultimate pseudo profundity. She didn't have the energy to come up with a new thought of her very own.

I'm not knocking this woman for using a cliche; as I said earlier, we all do it. It's just that we rely on these exhausted truisms to cover our own vapidness. To me, this is lamentable. I must confess, I am no conversationalist. My brain works at roughly half the speed as most people's, making it quite difficult to chime in with inspired thought. However, when I write, I try not to be lazy. My intention is to craft a considerate and deliberate piece, which will encourage deeper reflection and insights. At times I fail miserably to live up to this standard, but I try.

What are your favorite pseudo profundities? Or your most cringe-inducing?

No comments: