Thursday, March 27, 2008

Giving it a go...

Ok, so I'm not sure how this will work out, by I'm going to try and post part of a story every day or two. Charles Dickens began many of his most famous works as part of a series for a magazine, so I'm going to try and rip off his technique here. To begin, I am posting the beginning paragraphs of two stories. I'll decide which one to pursue either based on your comments or my "inspiration." Please feel free to leave polite comments, suggestions, and constructive critiques--I'll take all the help I can get! Without further adieu, here goes... (Oh, by the by, I know I'm not even in the same stratosphere of talent as C.D., but a girl can dream!).

Story One:
"The sun’s last rays illuminated the height of the mature pines that lined either side of the road. It was almost eerie driving toward the growing darkness, not knowing what may lie behind the thick mass of trees. Of course, the cold silence between us did not help ease the gnawing discomfort, which was rapidly developing into dread. The only betrayal of the silence emanated from a flock of nesting birds—they had no idea what traitors they were at that brief moment. I stole a sideways glance at my companion, who kept his gaze fixed firmly on the road in front of him. The whole wretched situation was my fault, and we both knew it. I tried to apologize, tried to explain why I had reacted in such a way, but to no avail. He never spoke an angry word to me, yet somehow his quiet understanding made the pain of our circumstances infinitely more agonizing."

Story Two:
"Isolation seemed to be the order of the day. A quiet hillside boasting a lush bed of green grass and a protective canopy of fresh leaves beckoned to the weary young traveler. For miles he had glimpsed not a single soul, nor heard the echoes of life. A stark sun was suspended high in the heavens, indicating the noon hour. Feeling the burden of his journey and the relentless rays of the sun’s warmth, the young man nearly leapt at the oasis of the towering trees. He dropped his heavy knapsack irreverently and crashed down beside it. Almost without willing it, his eyes closed and his breathing became deeper, but slumber did not follow. His mind was unstill, unable to divorce his current location from the grave circumstances of his destination; yet his physical being was able to find momentary respite in the shade of the woods. For now, at least, he was safe…he was protected…he was alone."

Let me know which one you would like to read more of!

No comments: